Monday 8 May 2017

Hello FIO Students


Hello there!
I'm excited to meet you all May 14th!


I'm one of the TA's for the FIO course this summer. I have been operating in a field setting for 3 years now, participating in projects involving toxicology, physiology and reproduction in several species of shark.

I graduated from UNF in the spring of 2016 with my Bachelor's in Coastal Biology, and I decided to stay and work towards my Master's degree in the same field.

Currently, I am studying bio-markers related with capture induced stress and post-release mortality of Blacktip sharks. Understanding and predicting post-release mortality for sharks is important to make fisheries management more efficient.

I'm really excited to be able to show you how we conduct field work in the UNF Shark Biology Lab, and to gain experience in many other forms of field work all over the state of Florida!

We will be headed out next week to survey our local North Florida shark species. Here's a picture of me with a young scalloped hammerhead we caught last year in the sampling site we'll be fishing at. They are very common there so I hope you get the chance to see some!


If you have any questions please feel free to email me N00835833@ospreys.unf.edu.


Looking forward to meeting you all Monday!

-Casey Zender

No comments:

Post a Comment