Wednesday 10 May 2017

Hi everyone!

Hi everyone!

My name is Samantha Shaw and I'm 21 years old. Samantha always feels like such an old school name, so everyone calls me Sam instead. I am a soon to be senior at the University of North Florida working towards a bachelors in biology with a coastal biology concentration. My goal is to eventually earn my doctorate in coastal or marine biology with a focus centering around coastal fisheries conservation and research. Although I am passionate about coastal fisheries and estuaries conservation and research, I am eager to see what other potential career and research opportunities exist that I've never experienced. I am hoping this course will help me broaden my views on all the potential that exists in the coastal and marine biology world.


As for a little background about me, I grew up predominately in a little town called Fort Walton Beach which is sandwiched between Pensacola and Destin in Florida, but have lived in Nebraska and Illinois as well as overseas in Korea due to my military family. I have always enjoyed any and everything water related including open-water swimming, snorkeling, kayaking, and recently scuba diving. I am currently trying to learn how to surf now that I live on the east coast, and if anyone has any tips for surfing they would be very much appreciated. However, I also love hiking and exploring the natural wonders that exist outside of the water with my american bulldog/hound mix. I am a huge dog mom so I will probably shove tons of dog pictures of her at ya'll, so I apologize in advance. 

With whatever little free time I have outside of class and work I enjoy reading, drawing, and locating cool and interesting murals. Jacksonville happens to be a city that is full of murals, so if anyone wants to go see some if we have any free time, I'd be glad to show you some of my favorites! 



With that all being said, I can't wait to meet everyone and share these adventures with people that have the same passion for coastal and marine biology! See ya'll in a couple of days at UNF!

Sam Shaw 

No comments:

Post a Comment