Sunday 18 June 2017

Our Final Week: UWF

Image of me and my group using the A-frame.
My final week of Marine Field Studies was amazing! It took place at the University of West Florida. At this location we took water quality measurements of creeks, sea grass beds, and the bayou. We discussed why many of these sites varied in nutrients, pollution, and productivity based on the results of the water quality measurements. Towards the end of the week we did a lot of work on the beaches. On Wednesday we observed the behaviors of shore birds on the coast using spotting scopes and binoculars. We also used radio telemetry to find trackers that had been hidden along the beach. On Thursday we spent our morning on the beach studying dunes. We used an Engineer’s level and an A-frame to learn about the beach’s geomorphology. We also used a meter by meter square to determine the percent cover of vegetation found on the dunes.
Image of me using a spotting scope to
observe shore bird behaviors.

These past five weeks have been amazing! I have learned much more than I had expected to while taking this course. I would recommend any Marine Biology student take this course especially if they are unsure what they want to study. The class not only aids in building your resume. It also helps you discover what you enjoy and what you don’t. I went into the class wanting to do open ocean work, and, although it is still an interest, I have found that I really enjoy coastal work and animal behavior studies.

This class has been the experience of a lifetime, and I have enjoyed every second of it! I hope that everyone I met on this journey has an awesome summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment